Thursday, February 7, 2013

07-Feb-2013 Where to begin....



I guess the first thing to report is that we are the proud champions of the 2013 Danat Qatar Mixed Doubles Tennis Tournament.  It was a wild victory and I will be honest, I thought we would get blown away.  We played two youngsters with really nice strokes and given we hadn't really played that much, I was really skeptical of our ability to give them much of a match.  It did take us 3 sets but somehow we were blessed with a victory. It was probably the most watched final I had ever played in and the winning prize was very unexpected!  Not only did we receive large trophies but we also received watches - and these aren't what I would consider cheap watches!  In addition, there was a big party that evening so not only was there tennis taking place, but there was the chili cookoff and a shawarma stand providing food along with a DJ playing music. Many people brought appetizers and desserts so there were quite a few folks out and about!  It was a wonderful party! 

The above celebration took place on Friday evening.  On Saturday evening, we participated in a golf social out at the Doha Golf Club.  We only played 9 holes on the amateur course but that was sufficient for us.  I'm going to say that we both did fairly well for not having played in almost 3 years. 

 
 Well, I guess the only other thing to report at this time is that as of late this evening, we are the proud owners of a hand made rug from India.  We were going to wait until we had our first visit to the rug man but after we visited Red Lobster tonight, we stopped in at the Oriental Trading Company and I couldn't leave there without this rug.  John didn't put up too much of an argument when I just had to have it so I think he liked it as well.  The picture doesn't do it justice!
So what's next?  Well tomorrow we will attend the annual "Boot Scoot" fundraiser which is slated to take place from 7:00pm to 1:00am.  We hear it is quite the shindig!  Then on Saturday, we were lucky enough to get tickets to the camel races!  I'm getting my camera batteries fully charged for this one!  We hope everyone is doing well.  Ma'a Salama (Good bye) from Qatar!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment