Saturday, March 23, 2013

23-Mar-2013 John's Week

There's not too much to report since our return from the Maldives although we are definitely staying busy!  In the past couple of weeks, we've had the opportunity to visit some old forts that have been restored and are sporadically located around Qatar.  As part of this outing we were able to go out with the Mahlmann's and really see the northern part of the state. On our way back into town, we stopped and ate at Chili's and it was nice to have some food that tasted fairly close to home!

  While we were visiting the second fort, one of the bushes caught the attention of John and Michael.  Upon closer inspection, we saw that the branches were covered in very long and sharp thorns.  As I was looking at the bush, the first thing that came to mind was the crown of thorns that Jesus wore during His crucifixion.  The thorns that we have at home are minor compared to these so if the crown of thorns that Jesus wore were anything like this, it is hard to imagine the pain and agony that He experienced just from these much less the beatings and torture that He endured.  Given that Easter weekend is coming up, seeing these thorns really brought the sacrifice Jesus made closer to home. Being in the Middle East really brings the Bible to life and the readings become more real.  I pray that with Easter coming up that we all remember the ultimate sacrifice that was made and accept the gift of salvation and promise offered through Jesus' death and resurrection.  I know for us, Easter will be quite different this year and will be much more humbling. May everyone have a very blessed Easter.

On a different note, I'm proud to report that John and Lou played their first men's doubles match in the tennis tournament hosted here in the compound.  Neither person got hurt and for not having played together much, they did well although they were not able to pull out a victory.  They will play again next Friday so we will see if the outcome is any different.

 Finally, John and I participated in the Qatar Foundation Golf Tournament today!  Unfortunately, we were not on the same team so I really had to guess as to what club to use and where to hit the ball.  I will proudly admit that on hole #8, I hit a 240 yard drive from the women's tee box straight up the fairway.  I don't play golf much but I will say, it was beautiful! The downside is that this hole was for the longest drive but only for men.  Hole #9 was for the women's longest drive and I'm ashamed to say that I completely shanked that one!  Needless to say, it was very frustrating.  That's why I don't play golf!! I can totally sympathize with Tin Cup when he broke every club in his bag except for the 7 iron.  I really felt like doing the same thing on hole #9!  Irregardless, John had a good day and his team won 3rd place out of 16 teams with a 33 (one under par).  It was enjoyable getting to know individuals from other components within Education City.





No comments:

Post a Comment