Yes - you read correctly! Our stuff did arrive on Sunday. The movers were actually waiting for us when we got home from school around 3:00. They were great! They unloaded all the boxes and then even unpacked them and removed all the shipping materials. All we had to do was put stuff in its place which took about 5 hours but that's better than I ever expected. We still have the office to setup but for the most part, a majority of the items we shipped are organized and put away. It is so nice to have a fully stocked kitchen again! I think the best thing that we did was ship all the kitchen stuff that we used the most at home! It sort of brings a sense of peace when you can cook a meal, using your own recipes and pots and pans, etc. I'm also happy to report that everything seemed to arrive in good shape. Also, it was quite the sight seeing the three movers (who were a bit smaller than typical movers in the states) lift this 225lb smoker off the truck and carry it into the back yard. As they were getting it off the truck, they almost dropped it! I thought I was going to have a coronary. The following thoughts went through my head - we used up 1/4 of our shipping allowance for this thing, it survived the thousands of miles to get here, it passed customs, only to be dropped while being unloaded! Luckily that didn't happen! It was a good thing John was waiting out back and didn't see this event almost transpire. The 3 men quickly regrouped and finally wrestled the pit into the backyard! We may try it out this weekend provided John can find some suitable lump charcoal!
Now you may be thinking - how have the first days of class gone! Other than the fact that John has adopted the Qatari driving habits already, I'm happy to report that they have gone really well! So what did John do? Well for someone who was never an aggressive driver at home, he has really started branching out! So here in Qatar, when you stop at a stoplight, you may sit there anywhere from 3-7 minutes depending on how far back you are in the line. So the other morning, we were coming up on a light that was just about to turn red and John immediately exits the main road and starts driving through the parking lot of the strip center adjacent to the road. He comes to the end of the parking lot and whips back onto the main road! I was shocked so he turns to me and says, "we missed that light". I was thinking - yep - I'm seeing a new side of John - I'm going to call him "John Andretti". Ok - getting back to classes, the girls in my class have been fun to get to know and I look forward to the semester. What amazes me the most is that most of them have seen more of the world in their 20+ years than I have in my 36 years. I was asking them about places we should make a point to visit. It was surprising that the most common answer was Thailand! Apparently, we have to visit the "night market" and the "floating market". I really didn't have Thailand at the top of my list but it is moving up quickly. Of course the most other common recommendations included France, Italy, Dubai, Egypt and Turkey! I could live with seeing any and/or all of these places. I think we are really going to have a good semester.
Well, I think that is all I have to report at this time. It has been requested that I video the driving here and take more pictures so I will make it a point to do this soon. I'm still a bit leary about where I can take pictures. I haven't taken my big camera out yet because I fear it will make people uncomfortable so I'm only really taking pictures with my iPod but I may break out the big camera this weekend! I hope you are enjoying the blog so far. If there is something specific you want to know about, feel free to add a comment and I will try to respond! One more thing - the picture below is of our actual villa! Good night!
Great update! Didn't we eat at a Kountry Kitchen in Taylor for lunch a few days a week during that stint?
ReplyDelete