Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Journey Begins (Part 2)

It's hard to believe we have already been here a full week.  These past couple of days have gone by fast.  We've gone through orientation meetings and spent the last couple of days trying to get our offices organized and preparing for class.  Today we had the opportunity to visit the US Embassy.  We had to get 2 documents notarized and it was quite the experience getting through all the layers of security.  After we left the embassy, we went in search of a gas (or in Qatar terms - Petrol) station.  We filled up for 34 QAR (Qatar Reals) which equates to under $10.  We even had a station attendant fill up the tank. John didn't even have to get out of the vehicle! On the way home, I snapped a few pictures of the setting sun and the scenery. It gets dark here around 5:30. For dinner, John fixed hamburgers with homemade french fries then we went for a walk around the compound and ended up watching some tennis.  The next thing you know, I've signed up for Wednesday tennis lessons (for around $17/hr) and we've entered into a mixed doubles tournament that will be played each Friday for the next 4 weeks.  I just hope we get our stuff within the next couple of days or we may be borrowing racquets from the neighbors!  We were told our shipment arrived on the 7th and is in the process of going through customs.  It could take from 2 to 7 days to get through customs.  Let's hope it is closer to the 2 days - John is in desparate need of a haircut before school starts and the clippers are with the rest of our stuff waiting at customs.  As for other news, we just recently learned that an IKEA is supposed to be opening here in Doha at the end of the month.  Now I know why everyone is so excited.  After visiting several of the local "megastores", it is going to be nice to walk into a familiar environment where you have some idea of what items will be available.  I've already started my shopping list!  The local stores are nice but I've noticed there are extremes.  You can get the really cheap stuff (usually made in China) or the really expensive (and usually flamboyant) stuff that really isn't my style.  Hopefully IKEA will offer a flavor of items closer to home.  Well, that's really all I have to report at the moment.  School starts on Sunday so I'm sure I will have more to report next week.  Take care and good night!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment